After the *NSYNC reunion at the VMAS (our favorite moment of 2013!) we couldn’t get enough of them. Thanks to YouTube, the Disney *NSYNC special is easily found, as is their Madison Square Garden concert (although we have that one on DVD) and this video which was released only in Europe, “Drive Me Crazy.”
Which led us to finally reading Lance Bass’ memoir, the perfectly titled “Out of Sync.” This book is a must read for any *NSYNC fan, as it reveals much about the boys’ climb to fame, the truth about that Backstreet Boys feud, and how Lance managed to handle screaming girls throwing themselves at him every night (easy: he just wasn’t interested).
Here’s what we learned from reading.
1. The Backstreet Boys vs *NSYNC feud was totally fake and orchestrated by Lou Pearlman, who would make up things to tell each band. (“Chris Kirpatrick said AJ McLean couldn’t sing!”)
2. Lance Bass once ripped up a $100,000 check and walked out of a meeting. Why? They’d had the number one album for weeks and had been touring non stop yet Pearlman was keeping most of the profits for himself as the “sixth member of the band.”
3. Lance went through a LOT of training to go into space. For starters, he had voluntary heart surgery to fix a minor problem. He also spent months learning rocket science in Russia, meaning he had to go through all of his training in Russian. Now, THAT’S dedication!!
4. Unfortunately due to networks pulling out and taking away funding (“it just wouldn’t look good for our sponsors if you died”) and JT’s continual delays of the bands’ reunion as he worked on his solo album, Lance never made it to space. We’re hoping now that space tourism is a thing, he’ll finally get the chance to go!
5. Chris and JT were the biggest ladies men on the road.
6. Before *NSYNC, JT and JC, who knew each other from the Mickey Mouse Club, were working on a project as a duo when they got a call from Chris Kirkpatrick. (Can this still happen?)
7. We can all thank Chris Kirkpatrick for getting rejected from the Backstreet Boys and going on to form *NSYNC.